Thursday, August 20, 2009

Why Values Matter

There are mountains of advice out there on how to manage your time and focus better. The ideas run from simple lists to elaborate calendars and note pads. All these programs tell you the steps to take to take control of your time and focus. So with all these tools available why do people still find themselves short on time and procrastinating? Why do we have list after list of uncompleted items? The missing key in all these programs is the understanding of your values.

No matter how good your system is you will still find yourself putting things off or skipping them if you don't have a clear understanding of your values. Our deep seated values are what makes us move. Everyone always acts in their own perceived best interest, including you. So as you are looking at the things that you know you need to do to be successful but find yourself always finding a reason not to do them, you need to look at your key values and how you define them. Value conflicts cause infinite problems in the normal time management schemes.

When I was working in my corporate job, I loved my job and wanted to move up the ladder. My goals were to be in a senior management position and be a respected leader. Great goals, certainly within my capabilities and reach. I knew what I had to do to achieve my goals and I would lay it all out and put together the plan. As many know, the way to the top in a large corporate structure is to work hard and out-shine those around you. So I would lay out my plan and start working at it. As time went on, I would find myself slacking off on my plan and not following through. Time and time again, I would procrastinate and not give it my all. Not knowing exactly why, I would end up telling myself, "oh you are just better suited to be a follower, not a leader." Finally, one day, I said "that's not true, you are a great leader. There is something deeper holding you back." So I started looking at my core values. Obviously success was one of my top goals. One of my other top goals was family. So after digging deeper into my values I found that in order for me to be successful in my current world I would need to put in 70 to 80 hours per week at work. This meant that I would have limited time for my family and I would not get to spend enough time with them. So deep down inside me I was purposely sabotaging my efforts to become successful in order to protect my family values. Can you see how this value conflict would wreak havoc on my efforts? My definition of success required countless hours away from my family which was in direct conflict with another of my core values.

After realizing my conflict, I knew I had to make some changes. I reviewed my values and their definitions and determined the correct course for me to have all the success I wanted. Notice, I didn't say, "well I guess you can't have it all." I knew better, I knew there had to be a way to have it all. Other people have it all and so should I. So I re-wrote my definition of success and eliminated the conflict. Now completing things related to my success are easy and I am excited to do them. It just took some understanding of my desires and some changes in my definitions.

With this little change, I now find it easy to keep moving forward. Here is my previous definition and my new definition of one of my core values, Success.

Old:
Success = Hold a senior management position in a large corporation; receive a six figure salary; be a respected leader; and work hard to get my rewards.

New:
Success = Have a career that allows me the flexibility and freedom to spend time enjoying life and family; earn enough income to do and have the things I want (which is currently 3X what I had expected before); serve a greater purpose.

With that simple change I now start each day excited about what I want to accomplish and do. My days flow easily from task to task and I can't wait to get on to the next step.

So, when you find yourself stuck and not getting things complete, take some time to look at your values and find those conflicts. I will talk more about how to accomplish in future posts. Until then.

Cheers to Success
Tony Booth

No comments:

Post a Comment